The Buteyko Technique was first taught in Australia in 1990 to asthmatics
and those with other respiratory conditions.
The first clinical trial outside the Soviet Union was conducted in
Brisbane, Queensland Australia to determine the effectiveness of the
Buteyko Technique for the treatment of asthma.
Conducted for the Australian Association of Asthma Foundations and Buteyko
Australia, the study showed:
breathe three to four times more than World Health Organisation norms.
The Buteyko group
- experienced a 90% reduction in bronchodilator medication
- the ability to reduce steroid medication
- had a reduction in symptoms and attacks
- experienced an improvement in quality of life score
The Control group
- experienced no such improvement, even after being subjected to the
best medical advice available
- After eight months the Control group undertook the Buteyko Technique
with the same results as the initial Buteyko group
What is taught for Asthma
and other respiratory conditions:
- Participants are taught the physiological explanations as per Professor
Buteyko's theory as to why they have asthma.
- Instruction and confirmation of National Asthma Campaign guidelines
with respect to the use of reliever and preventative medications.
- Instruction, supervision and guidance in how to use Buteyko
symptomatic relief to overcome attacks from the first day.
- Instruction, supervision and guidance in how to use Buteyko breathing
techniques to monitor their condition.
- Instruction, supervision and guidance with the philosophies to change
the underlying incorrect breathing patterns.
- Individual instruction with relation to their respective conditions,
medications and health history.
What does this mean for the attendee?
- The ability to significantly reduce or eliminate the requirement for
reliever medication .
- The longer term ability to reduce steroid medication
WITH, AND WITH APPROVAL OF
- Knowledge and portable skills to be in total control of their asthma
- The ability to become totally drug-free and experience levels of health
possibly never experienced before.
Buteyko Institute Practitioners do not advise you to reduce preventative or
steroid medications and do not interfere with the Doctor patient